PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Truth About Bmibaby
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2004, 17:42
bmibaby.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop

I just thought I'd stick my head through the carpet to further mention that the crews at bmibaby are not very happy as a whole, and that quite a few of the points that have been mentioned by people about the airline can be well justified.

With regards to the new uniform, I don't think it's as stunning as some uniforms you get at certain airlines, but I think it's a huge improvement over what we have now. Considering that the original uniforms (I was one of the early "33" to join the company) were designed by regional to give us a "fun and informal" look, instead we look like entertainers from Disneyland Paris, a look which is fine on an AGP, but on a CDG full of biz pax, just makes us look unprofessional. As mentioned, the uniform looks incredibly similar to mainline, and also quite similar to Easy, if you replace orange with blue.

The rostering at baby is crap, but I think that's a deep rooted problem at bmi in general, because I was never that pleased at rostering when I was with British Midland Commuter at EMA. Our biggest problem, is that crews and aircraft are being stretched across so many bases, that it's becoming unmanageable, management have learnt from this mistake, and there are small signs of improvement. The same has to go for the crewing department as a whole, things are getting better, but if you've worked for any airline, you do get treated like little service robots by them. The service is impersonalised and difficult, but improvements are being made.

The nightstops too are slowly beginning to disappear, but again, I think this is going back to the fact that we've got way too many bases, with not enough aircraft or crew in these markets. Things are beginning to improve now management are realising some of the problems with these new bases popping up all the time, and I'm pleased to see I've not had to visit Cardiff in over 12 weeks! (No disrespect to Cardiff, the people are lovely!)

The management team at bmibaby are dreadful. TD does a good job at keeping a very professional front to the public, but I've questioned a number of decisions made by the team.

I don't know whether BHX is a good idea, and I'm certainly doubting the benefits of CWL (routes coming & going all the time) & MAN (planes are full, but lots of people there want mainline, again with routes being swapped between the two companies).

Every airline has the odd dragon-wagon or two or three. It's much worse at mainline, and even worse if you happen to work for a major like Lufthansa or United where the company's full of them (again I love the two before mentioned airlines, but some of the senior crewmembers I encountered whilst at BD I took a sour disliking to).

I agree that there are a number of ex-BD crews who don't like being over here at WW, but for many it was the only option if they wanted to stay. I jumped from Commuter (by then regional) because we were promised that it would be a good move. And there have been many benefits, with many people enjoying the new routes in the first two seasons, but the novelty of new airports has worn off. Again I'm also an original, and no names spring to mind of anyone who tries to run the show. Remembering it when it was just G-ECAS, G-OJTW and the Fokker, I do think of baby as my airline in a way, but that doesn't mean I treat people as "below" me or "Jonny Come Latelys".

By the way, does anyone know why/when we stopped naming aircraft?

Pay is good, pretty similar payment to working at Commuter, and it seems similar to most other no-frills airlines that are out there. But I'm told in terms of conditions, linked with the pay, Easy are a better ship to work for, even though it's no "Good Ship Lollipop"

The aircraft are incredibly old, some of the earlier -300s, and I dislike them. Having flown on the new -700 series on Basiq Air a few months back, there is such an improvement over the -300, and they're nearly as nice as the 320s. -300s always seeming to go tech for one reason or another (especially the two ex-GB ones we took in the spring) and the galleys & lavs are absolutely foul. Secretly, I'm wishing we got some 319s or 320s like Germanwings. Heaven to work on!

Crew meals on any airline is absolutely disgusting, I'm far more happy to bring a packed lunch in my nasty backpack, although I must say that your appetite can be quickly turned off by the foul smells that often come into the rear galley.

In general, there are some plus points, a lot of the newer, inexperienced crew are a breath of fresh air, and the older galley hags are a right laugh as well, but there are also a lot of easily fixible negatives.

Finally, as a point to NEMA. Get more bloody buses!!!! I'm sick of having to fork out for a taxi because the AirLine Shuttle to Loughborough starts too late, or stops too early, and only once an hour! We need a SkyLink type schedule. Maybe they'll read and speak to KinchBus about it!