PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Song and dance over 'ageist' Virgin
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2004, 05:07
Kanga767

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Sorry, can't help myself...

The Daily Bugle
19th August 2004

Considered boyish and pre-pubescent, they are answering their critics.

A gaggle of Year 9 computer students from Bagball Boys High are taking startup airline Koala Blew to task over recent flight crew recruitment.

“As the interviews progressed, it was obvious that Koala Blew were only interested in people with the appropriate licenses and relevant experience”, said class Chess Captain, Roy.

6 boys aged 12 to 14 claimed that despite their combined 100 hours flying computer Flight Simulator programs, they were treated with contempt and ridicule by the selection panel.

“I’ve even got the Australian Enhanced scenery ” claimed 13 year old Evan.

The boys have since been accepted into Skyballs Virtual airlines as direct entry captains on Beech 1900Cs.

“I e-mailed my flight video of Albury to Perth, and they came back in 24 hours” said a boy, who wished to remain nameless.

The class contended that Koala Blew not only discriminated against younger workers, but that the airline's group test recruitment strategy was indirectly discriminatory in that it "favoured qualification and experience".

Koala Blew head of Ground Support said that she had offered work to the local Scout group on weekends washing planes and emptying the Hangar bins, however she did acknowledge that the ability to ‘steer a plane’ was not necessarily dependant on age.

Customer Relations spokesperson Jackie said, “We have found that our passengers prefer grown men and women with licenses up the pointy end of our planes.”