PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Assault on Aer Arann flight_14/08/2004
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2004, 16:02
flapsforty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If, and I stress the if info is correct, I wonder as to the wisdom and necessity this day and age of a pilot stepping out of the cockpit to sort out rogue pax.

IMHO opinion, dealing with the pax is a matter for the cabin crew. It's what we are paid for and what we are supposed to be good at. If the CC can't handle the pax, two possibilities remain.
Either the CC is unsuited to the job, or the pax is unsuited to be travelling by aircraft.
There can be no need for a pilot to expose himself to possible violence in this way.
We all have our job to do on the aircraft. The pilots shouldn't need the cabin crew to sort out their approach, and the cc shouldn't need the pilots to sort out the pax.

I had a Nigerian gent try to storm the cockpit on the ground a few weeks back in a similar incident. While I had kept the Captain informed about the developments with this chap so the Capt would be prepared incase he needed offloading, when the chap started running up the aisle towards the cockpit, I yanked open the cockpitdoor, slammed down the lock and closed the door.
While I greatly appreciate the instant back-up our pilots provide, and the chance to off-load my troubs after the event with a cuppa in the cockpit, the pax are my bailiwick.
If I can't deal with the pax, what the heck am I doing there?