PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Massey training
Thread: Massey training
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2004, 12:08
Massey058

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't believe I've been brainwashed by massey at all, maybe you didn't read the post, there are some issues at the moment but by and large its what I want to do and i'm sticking with it, I am fortunate that I have a very good instructor and some good lecturers that help maintain sanity.

Yes there are average instructors at massey even, you might even find them in the rest of GA falling asleep in a C152. There are lifetime instructors who don't really care and there are those using it purely as an hours building platform and then there are some good ones in between.

I'm not here to stick up for massey, as i've said when you read the post there are some things that aren't so great, as you'll find with anything in life but i can give you a few facts. The School is consolidating because it expanded before its time thanks to some smart management folk, now that ardmore is closing intakes at PM are being kept to just over 20 every 6 months which is a tricky logistical task from the rabbit warren we operate out of. Theres been no real movement in instructors from PM this year, one has gone to Eagle others of course have applications pending, some ardomre ones will be moving here and others moving on. The school is advertising for B-cat instructors at the moment. They took no new instructors form the last flight instructor course no relflection on their skills, some have gone overseas. There are five on the current course and applications for next years course will probably be limited to 3 from 2 courses.

I would agree with that rating of Massey University, they are one of the major problems with the school of aviaiton. They just have no idea and the won't listen to students or staff, hence the consolidation of academics to the Turitea campus. If another uni offered the course and things seemed better there then i'm sure massey's association with flying training would probably end.

And sorry to finally answer you're question about were I am going with this degree although you've probably long since tired, I hope to get a job in GA flying anything from a single to a seneca and if I have no luck there then I am quite interested in flight operations, or even coffee spilling (ATC). Failing all that like many grads I could look for work overseas. But as I've said before I have no grand illusions of getting a high paying jet job in the near future if ever.

I would be interested to know what you do in the industry and what you're association with massey is