PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eyesight regulations CONDEMMED!
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2004, 00:09
crazypilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sort of in the same boat as you I believe, although not entirely sure who is in the better position.

My last eye test (in April) showed that my prescription is around -5.25 and also -1.75 astigmatism. The CAA add these two figures together so I am technically over the -5 limitation for Class 1 initial (since I am -7 total). However, I have held a PPL since I was 18 (4 years ago) and got a Class 2 at the time. I've always wanted to be a commercial pilot, but figured that I couldn't be one (back when I was 18 as the limit in those days was -3 dioptres TOTAL) and so have now taken a different career path (still in the airline industry though). I'm now sticking to the management side of the industry and flying for fun...at Cranfield incidently - may have even saw you in the Library if you were up for the CABAIR briiefing) Just for curiosity, I recently got in contact with the CAA and this is what they said:

"In reply to your e mail requesting information on achieving JAA class 1 medical certification. You may be able to achieve a JAA class 1 with a deviation if your eye sight is within the renewal standards. However before we can confirm this you need to submit an up to date spectacle prescription and one from 3 years ago. The deviation route for pilots who hold a PPL(A) licence involves attending Aviation House for a JAA class 1 eye first initial examination. If the applicant is successful then they will receive a JAA class 1 medical certificate with a deviation. This permits the pilot to undertake professional flying training and on successful completion of the course the deviation will be lifted."

So this is what you have to do. I think I will give it a miss now.

The reason why....if you were at the CABAIR do last week, I take it you are not that old (early-mid 20s perhaps too??). You have to remember that in being a commercial pilot, your health and fitness is constantly monitored and the renewal limit for Class 1 is -8 dioptres for myopia (-3 for astigmatism). Suppose you were to go over this (and indeed your eyesight probably will get worse) --- I'm just saying you need to consider this, you may find that you get through this time only to find that a few years later on they take it away from you and then you'll be in a worse state.

My advice --- check it out with the CAA, if they can give you a Class 1, great, but also look at it in the long-run.

CP

---Modified to make sense----

Last edited by crazypilot; 15th Aug 2004 at 10:22.