PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Having to pay for Type Ratings as well!
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2004, 21:59
hose

OK. Thanks for your replies but I have heard it all before.

I know the bit about doing an Instructors Licence.

I also know about staying current.

These things cost money, and the problem I raise is about cash flow. Thats all.

An instructors rating costs money and results in being paid peanuts. Staying current also costs good money.

I know the thing about getting some two-bob-job at an airport in the hope of getting to know a fairy godmother. But this pays fewer peanuts than the Instructors job.

The point is that I now have to start paying back my loan and have no chance of getting more money to pay for any more training. The main priority is earning money to pay off the loan in the knowledge that I can't stay current and so will most likely never get a job.

I'm not being negative, just realistic. Call me naive, but most people are like me and thought that the ATPL was an investment that would see us getting good employment. I now see that most of us will only have an 11 year debt to show for our hard work.

When I started on this route I never had any intention of being an Instructor or a baggage handler. I have no intention of doing it now. The good thing for me is I have another good job to fall back on. But looking at most of the people I was with on my course, about 90% had the loan, they have nothing to fall back on and can join the back of the line for jobs.

I bought into the dream, but will be left with a nighmare.

I am interested in views about the huge amount of money this is costing on top of normal living costs etc. This situation has only come about in the last couple of years.

I am respectful of all views but i heard a quote from a guy who runs at top training provider that there was about 2000+ low hour guys and girls waiting for there first break!

My view now is that people are being taken in by a con.