PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eyesight regulations CONDEMMED!
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2004, 16:16
Bird Strike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nobody said that you had a poor judgement. No-one said you would be unsafe to fly. What some have said is that the regulations are regulations, and we have to fall within the given medical standards whether we like it or not, if we want to fly.

Scroggs and I were just saying that your astigmatism is unfortunately too far above the limit, from what you said in an earlier post. I do not see why you should attempt to offend him by calling him "sproggs", which I assume was deliberate. If not, I withdraw this criticism and apologise.

You wrote "As the statistics say its safer to be aboad a plane that in a car... surely that must mean the eyesight regulations for a driving license should be more regulated than that of a commercial airline pilot?". I interpreted this and "Fatigue in the eyes of a able visioned person is just as dangerous and more common - medically proven." as a criticism of, or a complaint regarding, the imposition of eyesight standards upon pilots.

I am certainly not trying to quosh any attempt to allow people into the industry that don't meet the 'calibre' of old (in fact I am quite against some of the medical standards imposed upon pilots). I do not believe Scroggs was, either. There is no elitist mentality going on here, if that is what you are implying.

My post was merely an attempt to pass on the information regarding the Class 2 medical standards (private level), possibility of NPPL and also to say that your comments regarding the eyesight regulations are not really valid and that the energy would be better spent pursuing something more realistically achievable, such as an NPPL.

I know that it is disappointing to find that there is a major obstacle when you have set your heart on something, but it is better to find out earlier on than when you have gone further down the road.

By all means send whatever documents you have into CAA and see what they say. Nobody is telling you not to. But basically the gist is don't get your hopes up for obtaining Class 1 if your astigmatism is so far above the limit, and if you just want to fly an airliner and do not want to fly for pleasure, you would probably like to put your flying training on hold until you hear back from them. If you love flying for the sake of flying, then there is NPPL as well as microlight flying, gliding etc that you can do without having meet the Class 2 standards, and you would probably like to look into them.

FYI the renewal limit for astigmatism for Class 1 is 3 dioptres.
For Class 2, it says the astigmatism may go beyond 3 dioptres (CAA's site only says MAY so that is quite vague as to how far they permit). If you get an FAA PPL for instance, they will use the report from your last foreign medical and assess it and will issue you a Class 2 if it is satisfactory. Not sure if they will apply the initial or renewal standards for that. Check with CAA about this. But remember Class 2 is only for flying as a PPL and so it might not meet your requirement.