PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How desirable is the 'job' (jet airline pilot) these days?
Old 13th Aug 2004, 16:08
Barnstormer1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess it still is!

I've tried to get into the Luftwaffe back in 2001 when I was doing my army service, was rejected by my base's doc ("they never take you"), left the service, applied for the Lufthansa ab initio scheme, was not taken as the psychos found I was "too ambitious to be just a pilot" (), started my studies for a business degree, applied for the Luftwaffe again as someone told me my good old army doc had told me crap, went thru the selection next to my exams (all 8 weeks at my business school) and my job, was recommended for a FJ slot (psychos this time: "perfect fit into EFA profile"), did not get my bang seat medical for insurance reasons ("ten years ago you would have been in!"), was planned in for a A400M-slot, decided not to take it in June 2004 this year as I was afraid to quit my civil studies for the Luftwaffe officer training, started a placement with a company which other business degree students would cut both their left and right arms off for, found that it is not the right thing for me, and re-applied for a new slot in 2005.

It really depends on what kind of person you are, but if flying is what you feel what you were born for (I soloed at 14) - do it. Otherwise get some business degree and hang around in the office with nice girls and talk about your new flip-flops and the last gay parade.