PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it now time to reconsider jumpseat restrictions for relatives?
Old 10th Aug 2004, 09:50
Stripes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of claptrap and a lot of common sense in this thread in my opinion. Having someone in the j/s is not a big deal. The only reason that the restrictions were introduced was to appease the public and more importantly, to enable each Transport Minister in each country to be able to stand up in his Parliament and assure the country that they were doing everything in their power and that their airlines were SAFE.

We all know what a lot of Cr*p that is but it was a political decision and had nothing to do with security.

There IS a perceived problem by the public in seeing flight deck doors being opened and closed to often expecially on short sectors but that's easily sorted out.

I for one have always welcomed our own staff, relatives, staff of other airlines and sometimes their relatives. Other Captains have aalways had a different view and would accept nobody. That is their prerogative.

It is a very simple matter to inform any j/s guest as to the rules of behaviour and I've never had one who didn't follow those rules.

Count me in among those who agree the rules should be relaxed. Just don't expect our stupid self-serving politicians from all countries to agree.

After all, if they didn't have this as a crutch they might have to do something that would actually enhance security!! Meantime my wife and yours are regarded as potential terrorists while a staff member whom I've never seen before, is not.

Such is life ! The lunatics have really taken over the asylum.