PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big thanks to Manchester ATC
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2004, 09:13
Spiney Norman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mak.
I was the Manchester Approach controller on duty when you made your request. I remember it well. The reason we couldn't clear you through was because you requested a direct route to Jodrell bank which would take you through a 5 mile final at Manchester. We were on dual runway operations landing 06R and to facilitate your crossing would have involved providing a gap in inbound traffic to allow you to transit the ILS. Also, as you say, there was a stonking SE wind that day and your groundspeed was very low which would also increase the time interval of the gap required to get you through. The Low level route on the other hand, would provide you with a transit of controlled airspace whilst adding only 3 to 4 miles to your desired track. I asked you if you were familiar with the Low level route and you told me you weren't but then when I asked if you could see it on your chart you asked me for vectoring towards it. I recall giving you a QDM for Wigan and then, as you appeared unsure tried to get you onto the M6 which from where you were at the time would feed you into the LLR. Unfortunately you had difficulty spotting the M6 but volunteered the info that you could fly the WHI NDB. To keep things more simple for you this was why we told you to track the NDB if you were happy doing so whilst maintaing VMC and we arranged a hand off to Liverpool for your transit as the track you would need to make good would take you through their CTR. The day was a very strange one with average visibility but no cloud below 5000ft and that strong SE above 1000ft. I hope the rest of your flight was more uneventful! I had a couple of PA28's call me later on route from Jurby going down South and that wind had them diverting for fuel when south of the Manchester zone! If you're heading into these parts again you might find this link handy.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/299/DAP_ACD_ManLowLev.pdf

I hope this works!

Spiney