PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big thanks to Manchester ATC
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2004, 20:37
Squadgy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opnot - I think Mak is just a genuine guy/girl looking for an explanation - I know a lot of PPLs who think that by filing a flight plan that all units along their route will know they are on the way. We don't know if this flight was IFR or VFR.

Reading between the lines I think this may be an IFR flight but having to remin in Class D and below, perhaps because Mak dosen't have an IR, but an IMC rating. Given the sector safe alt in the NW quadrant of the Manchester Zone is 3500, and the Class D airspace is below this then it's not really possible to transit IFR unless you hold an IR and your ac is equipped for it. Additionally some Manchester SIDs fire towards where you would be flying in to - this would mean none standard departures being put in place for departing commercial traffic, and none standard go-around procedures for every arriving aircraft.

If you were VFR then the LLR is definately the way to go - it's very rare that Barton fixed wing traffic transits the zone - usually just helis inboud to private sites inside the zone itself.

Hope this helps