PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it now time to reconsider jumpseat restrictions for relatives?
Old 9th Aug 2004, 17:19
runawayedge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting thread....during the height of the troubles (IRA) I happened to be travelling to Frankfurt from Heathrow with BA proudly in the possession of a PPL and the wrong passport. I however duly requested the jump seat and the friendly hostess returned and said the captain would be delighted. Having spoken only when spoken to he was a thourough gentleman and we actually kept in touch afterwards. I have travelled in the jump seat post Sept 11. I happen to be one of those who didn't make it into the ranks of those who spend their career in the pointy end of an airliner. I can say however that having passed 1,000 hours of private flying I've learnt so much sitting quietly in a jump seat. Yes I agree that you would want to know something about the background of the person sitting behind you, but is that person in the jumpseat (if bona fide) not another barrier to a potential terrorist trying to gain access, especially in smaller cockpits!