PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot SHORTAGE reduces experince level requirement for jobs.
Old 1st Aug 2004, 03:15
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

411A, I'm under no illusions that your experience far and away exceeds that of any other pilots singularly AND collectively!

However in my humble experience, I haven't previously heard of a major employer hiring 250 hour total time pilots straight into the right seat of a 2 crew jet transport aircraft.
Certainly cadets were recruited as S/O's, to "fly" in the jump seat for x number of years, before undertaking F/O transition training.
The airline I am currently with employs pilots with less than 500 hrs tt as direct entry F/O's - however this is due to the severe shortage of experienced pilots available in this Asian country. From intake to check-out, the time frame is almost 2 years though, and even then they have quite severe restrictions on their actual handling as PF.

Now to add some further support to the looming "pilot shortage", I was told that SQ pilots have had their previous pay cuts re-instated PLUS an additional 15% INCREASE in salary.

With all the that we (pilots) have been dished out over the previous decade or so, I can only say, it's about time!