PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most realistic flight sim software, opinions?
Old 1st Aug 2004, 02:16
mstram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kr7 :

>heh, I actually don't even LIKE flight sims... lol. I'm doing it solely for learning purpose. If I wasn't trying to get a PPL I probably would never touch MSFS...

Hmm. Have you taken an intro flight yet?

What is your motivation for getting a ppl? Is it primarily to enjoy flying, or do you plan to just use it for transportation?

The reason that I ask, is that I enjoy flight sims for many of the same reasons that I enjoy real flying.

#1 - flying is primarily a great mental exercise, requiring thinking skills that sometimes little margin for errors It's great practice to fly a x-ctry and exercise your navigation skills.

#2 - the view ! Being up in the air and moving is quite unnatural and is always a thrill for me. A sim is not the same thing of course, but the MSFS
scenery engine is so good that a few hours of "flying", through the rockies, or over the eiffel tower, or the Toronto skyline is great fun.

#3 - the flying - aside from an erobatic plane, I find that landing a real plane, controlling your flight path, airspeed, rate of descent, and flying to a rwy, flaring and touching down to be great fun. Part of the the thrill is controlling the machine, but the primary enjoyment comes from the control of *flight* itself. The sim is nowhere near as thrilling as the real thing, but I still find it great fun to do touch and go's with it.

Re: coments about trimming / not being able to experience trim :

My joystick has a spring that returns it to center. While not quite the same thing as the real control forces you experience in trimming, I find that the spring, in combination with observing the reaction of the aircraft/horizon to be a similar experience.

Kr, if you don't have a joystick or yoke then you will be missing a big part of the trimming experience for sure.

Mike