PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bahrain and Serco
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2004, 18:57
dusto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay guys, first post here. I'm in Canada, where Nav Canada pays most ATC's just under $100,000 CAD. This is equal to about $75,000 USD or 272 000 Dhs. We then of course have income tax, no subsidized housing, sales taxes, a cold climate, and many unhappy people at Nav Canada.

That said, you're actual take home income for an IFR controller is somewhere around $60,000 CAD less sales tax on everything you buy (162 000 Dhs.) Now, considering that Dubai was about the greatest city I've been to (Although I still want to go to Brisbane) how is 250 000 Dhs not a good salary (including fuel allowance, salary and housing)? Last time I was in Dubai there was no income tax either, you get a beautiful climate, one of the worlds most progressive cities (although that is entirely backed by the Abu Dhabi government, we'll have to see how well Dubai sustains itself in 10 years when it's oil runs out), and a safe city.

Yes, I have kids. Would I be afraid to move to Dubai with them? Not at all. The lifestyle that we could enjoy there for the 250 000 Dhs annually would be far superior than the lifestyle we can enjoy here. It would take about $180,000 CAD annually here to live the same lifstyle. Let's just say no ATC's in Canada will make that for a while to come.

I'm just trying to really see the negative in the deal that Serco offers. Coming from Canada I can't see it. Although I don't really know what ATC's in the UK or Australia make. Can someone divulge some more info on this?