PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GoM crash 38th since 2000 (Merged threads)
Old 26th Jul 2004, 22:38
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, never go by the FAA preliminary reports for anything. They are embarrassingly inaccurate. I've seen wrong types, wrong everything at one time or another. In the one posted above, I highly doubt that this flight was for pleasure for anyone involved. The NTSB reports, OTOH, are usually trustworthy.

Fuel is always a concern with helicopters, because they just don't have the range of fixed-wing, and the oil company dispatchers/foremen/flunkies all want the absolute maximum payload carried, no matter what, and safety isn't anywhere near the top of the list of their concerns. Thus almost every helicopter flying in the GOM is flying with the minimum required fuel, and sometimes less. The majors have more fuel installations, thus more chances to divert and pick up some more fuel if things go into the dumpster, but the small bottom-feeders can't do that, and their pilots had better plan very carefully. Until the oil company upper management comes down hard and fires a few dispatchers and foremen, this isn't going to change. I won't hold my breath waiting for any change.