PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using the Uk IMC rating in N reg aircraft
Old 29th Jul 2004, 09:35
valenii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knots and Knitting

Bill

Come along to the LFOTM this week and we can have a sensible group discussion abut this with our two CFII instructors.

My opinion at this point is that these discussions are twisting the regulations beyond belief! Each set of regs can only be expected to be consistent within its self, you cannot expect to get consistent regulations if you mix UK and US regs and treat it as a whole.

My view is that for the US let you fly in UK airspace and the UK let you fly in US aircraft. If you have both licences you should choose which set to apply.

This argument here seems daft to me, as we have a situation that with a US PPL you can fly at night, with a UK PPL and a night rating you can fly at night. Independently they make sense and you can fly at night.

The convoluted arguements expressed here hinge on the fact that a UK classification of night flying being "Instrument" is then applied back into the US regs ("If instrument you need an IR").

Get some common sense here! If both sets of regs let you do something (i.e. Visual Flying at Night) lets not invent convoluted hybrid rules to try and argue otherwise. Choose which set to apply, they were never designed to be consistent, together, just independently.

Ian