PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flights too downmarket for many businesspeople
Old 28th Jul 2004, 18:10
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The historic airline model says that the airline makes its money on servicing the business and first class pax while the economy class providing a little gravy, really just fills up space unoccupied by the higher yield pax. The LCC model has turned the traditional model on its head and is now driving the market. For traditional airlines to now turn their focus on the low yield pax, they risk alienating and underservicing the higher yield pax, which seems to be happening in the above scenario. Gaunty and many others are realizing a potential market appears to be forming. Whether it is sufficient just yet to support a niche operation is yet to be determined in Australia, but I suspect it is close and getting more viable with every day. The advantage that a bizjet combination, which is not quite the traditional RPT operation but more than the traditional charter operation, will have is its flexibility, individual attention and its focus on the specific needs of a small, but high yield market. Something that the traditional airlines seem to be leaving in their wake. I’d hate to be the person juggling the schedules for such an entity. That will be one tough job. If I were the owner of a GAAP airport though, I'd be salivating at the prospect.

Last edited by Lodown; 28th Jul 2004 at 19:26.