PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Money - the great sinking feeling
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2004, 09:31
Banjo George

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In fairness NinjaBill, I think SilverKnapper wasn't suggesting that unless you are 200% committed to helis as a career from the word go, then don't bother.

I think he was just tactfully suggesting that anyone with real doubts should sit back and take a long hard look again at what committments they are undertaking. I don't think he was saying 'forget it, you're a starry eyed wannabe with no idea of what it's really like' - a view that can easily be found on other threads, believe me.

I don't intend to start flying until Oct, and I've been researching the whole flying thing since about February this year. This wait has been forced on me, and by crikey I'm glad it has been otherwise I believe I would have already made two or three horrendous financial mistakes by now.

IMHO, to any other wannabes out there, my advice, if I'm at all qualified to give ANY, would be :

Decide what you want to do. Then mull it over for a couple of months and re-evaluate your feelings yet again. Gather as much info and opinion as you possibly can - good and bad.

Re-consider your situation in light of every new angle you find out. Do the sums and then re-do them, and then add on 25% contingency. When you have that figure in mind, and you think it's realistically achievable, ask yourself is here anything else you would rather do with that money eg buy a house. Ask yourself, 'what kind of life do I want ?'

Basically, weigh up as many risks as you can, and if they are ALL acceptable to you in the long term, then make your decision.

If you're still not sure, ask yourself this ?

'If I died tomorrow, what 5 things would I regret NOT having done ?' Put those in order of importance, and you'll have a pretty good idea where the money should be spent.

I hope that make at least a small amount of sense. It ain't perfect, but I think it's working for me - and at 39, one does have to be a cautious old git ..................