PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Money - the great sinking feeling
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2004, 11:16
Banjo George

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Interesting thread. I've just passed the Class 1 medical and am readying to do the PPL(H), with a view to doing the CPL(H) at HAI next year.

Financially, I'm lucky enough to be quite well off - I've raked together £35k to do the PPL/CPL (still need some more yet), I actially own my house, which is another £170k's worth I guess and I get paid over £50k pa. I'm single, no dependents (hence the cash)

............. and yet I'm still in a bit of a quandry about whether to try for the whole hog. I'm desperate to change career as the current one is killing me with boredom. BUT, and here's the big BUT, although having the money in place is a major advantage, blowing the whole lot on qualifying as a CPL and then not getting a job is a major worry.

Most people would probably say 'stop messing about and go for it' but these nasty 'what if ?' thoughts cross my mind - what if I went and bought a pub, what if I trained as something else etc, etc. Sometimes having the cash can be an even bigger gamble than starting with a mountain of debt, though on balance, I guess the worst that can happen to me is to blow all those savings on some great times.

Anyhow, good luck whatever you choose.