PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Money - the great sinking feeling
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2004, 12:09
2close

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent post CR,

My own story is that I got my FAA PPL back in 92 whilst still in the army, which I left in 94, with a hefty sum of redundancy cash. I really wanted to go commercial but ummed and ahhed over the tales of doom and gloom in the industry far too much and in the end didn't do it - and I have regretted it ever since.

One divorce induced financial disaster, a workplace accident and six years of non-flying later I find myself back in the position of being able to go for it, due mainly to some lucky breaks in the property market. So we've decided to up sticks, sell two properties (and with a bit of prudent jiggery-pokery, Gordon won't see a bloody penny of it) and move to the SE where the missus has family. And I, at 43 years of age (or 44 when I start) am going for the ful CPL/IR and FI ratings.

I've read, with intense interest, the threads on Age and realise the risks I'm taking but as my only realistic goal is to get into instructing I figure it's worth it - rather than be here in 10 - 15 years time with the same regrets. And I'm hoping that if I do this my son will see what's up for grabs and follow me (he's 15 now and PPL training). Like many others, I have professional qualifications and experience to fall back on, which I am also lucky enough to be able to actually expand upon during training.

The botom line is - if you have a dream and you have a realistic chance of achieving it within acceptable risks you have to go for it - one crack we get and it's not a dress rehearsal.

Good luck to anyone willing to go for it.

2close