PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The other E.E. classic, the Canberra. (Merged 23rd July '04)
Old 23rd Jul 2004, 15:54
Bof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canberras in Germany

The lead post on this thread reminded me of an occasion when flying Comet 2s on 216 back in the late 50s. The boss received a beautiful glossy aerial pic in the post of a Comet taken from vertically above 'over eastern West Germany'. It was sent by a Swift FR guy from 79 if my memory serves me right. The accompanying letter said 'I was flying along the other day, spotted one of your Comets and took the attached photo which I thought you might like. I am by the way an NZ pilot with the RAF shortly due for DOMCOL leave in NZ and wondered if there was any chance of a lift home!!' Only thing was it wasn't one of ours - a sneaky pete festooned with aerials from that other Sqn in Lincolnshire. Not only was the aircraft shown in perfect focussed detail but so was the ground 35000ft below. Poor guy had an instant interview with gentlemen in long black coats and SIB. I don't believe we ever took him home!