PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The other E.E. classic, the Canberra. (Merged 23rd July '04)
Old 23rd Jul 2004, 10:52
DavidGeorge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies; and especially to Gainesy and LesB for the PMs.

Looking through my father's logbooks, he flew WT-534 for the first time in Apr 58 during Ex Southern View, Bordeaux - Montpelier, 39N 08E - 37.30N 11.30E (which from my world atlas looks like somewhere off the coast of Portugal) - Gozo (or 9020 ... his writing was always aweful) - Luqa.

One entry in his logbook reads, "(violated A.D. 12)". Does anyone know what that was?

Other logbook entries around that period show Exercises "Brass Monkey", "Guest", "Royal Flush", "Battle Call", "Berserk", "Sunbeam", "Sassoon", "Amled" plus strange entries such as "PT. 1377" (or B77), "Form D" (several varieties ... 453, 461 etc), "Task Paderborn "(sp?).

On his second tour with 17Sqn in 1962 (he was at North Coates in the meantime) he managed to make me a hero at school by flying over the cricket pitch at Market Rasen at 250ft while my class were outside playing cricket. No-one believed it when I told them it was Dad (in fact I seem to remember being beaten up for lying), until the photos arrived a week later. Revenge was sweet!

Again, thank you all for your contributions. If anyone has any anecdotes from the era I would love to hear them.