PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The end of cheap pilots
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2004, 17:55
B757RATED

MOR, you rang a few bells there.

I started in this daft business about that time. I remember 5 interviews and 4 job offers in 3 weeks. I only had 400 hours. I ended up flying a B757 for AE. I was out of work for a year after that fiasco and it has been an uncomfortable roller coaster ever since. I wish I had never bothered.

The pilot shortage was delicious then. Will it be that way again? Well, I dunno.

Then, you could reasonably sit in the right hand seat of any old turbo prop. If you were rubbish the crusty old git next to you could cope. These days it is different. Most newbies have to start on a jet and the entry standards are much, much higher and more expensive to boot.

The supply is different. Jag mates excepted there is not the exodus from the military. Also, it is much easier to get a job in Blighty if you are not a British National. Air UK excepted, you were generally British those days.

The bottom line for an entry pilot is higher, the airlines have to plan a little bit further ahead and the supply is more diverse.

It is harder to predict, but I don't think we will see an acute shortage again.

Just my twopence worth.