PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tristar in the hands of Russian owner.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2004, 16:38
Atlanta-Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Russians

As far as I have seen Russian aircraft flying around in Africa and Middle-East are "somewhat" lacking in the old maintenace, mainly due to cut-throat competition between the various Russian operators. However many of their pilots and tech-crews are very well trained and experienced in the type of aircraft they operate.
The above does not however exclude the fact that they have serious problems with some of the following:

- Lack of recurrency training on the type operated, some guys not seen Sim or an instructor since early -80's
- Lack of standardisation in operating procedures as well as maintenance procedures.
- Operating using out of date enroute charts and app-plates
- Lack of available spares and tools to correct problems
- Flying with aircraft in total shambles
- Serious problems with reading , writing and understanding English language especially when it comes to ATC and technical language.
These are just to name a few. Guess some of the points can be used to describe many third world carriers.

Regardless I can assure you PETESEVENSEVEN that a small Russian company operating aircraft as complex and demanding as L1011 in Africa just wont make it.
Russian mechanics with limited english (Ok they may speak excellent english) but no experience on the L1011.
Add to that the lack of spare parts (And prices for thosre spares available) on the market. They will either crash it or brake it in just no time.
We operated L1011 for quite a few years and know the problems involved in operating the aircraft type. We had engineers with years and years of experience on the type... There is a reason why the aircraft is no longer in our fleet.

So I guess dear Pete, that it is you that really do not have "No idea what you are talking about". ( Since you like to use that expression).

AD