PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ALL NAC pilots threatened with sack!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2004, 06:38
Blown Seal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

This thread is a sad indication of the state of the Australian GA industry. IF the events as they have been mentioned ARE true then I honestly feel for the pilots involved, they are not in an enviable position. I am sure I am not alone but I have been fired for standing up to a former employer over conditions and was fired two weeks later for something that I did not do. Subsequently I took the company to the IRC and ended up settling out of "court". All I can say regarding this is how I wish I had been an AFAP member. To those involved, do yourself a favour and join the AFAP. If this scenario gets really nasty your union fees will be a fraction of what a lawyer would cost. Do not mention anything about joining the union to your boss, just do it and THEN if he continues playing unfairly you have the best backing possible.

I personally cannot think of any other industry where the workers are so regularly underpaid as GA. The problem lies as most realise in that there are pilots who will happily accept less, or even worse, nothing for hours. I can quite easily empathise with those who are desperate for experience, working for less than you are entitled to however is not the answer. It does nothing for yourself or the people who come after you.

It is also a travesty that there is no government agency that is prepared to proactively ensure and then protect workers entitlements. Equally shameful is how pilots lose their memories and slip on a pair of rose coloured glasses as soon as they enter a major airline instead of trying to help make a change.

"...there is no government agency that is prepared to proactively ensure and then protect workers entitlements"

Where on earth did you get that idea from????

Children, please pay attention!

The Dept Employment & Workplace Relations and Office of the Employment Advocate are obliged to protect employee rights - on confidential contact.

But they are not mind readers!

Woomera

Last edited by Woomera; 22nd Jul 2004 at 09:31.