PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ALL NAC pilots threatened with sack!
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2004, 02:23
gatfield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Direct Anywhere,

You have made many assumptions about what I think. In the process you have totally missed my point.

What I was trying to suggest is that there are many angles to every situation. And while everyone is hung up on this NT award, I couldn't help thinking about some of my friends who work in NZ who get paid $10 - $18 hr. I wasn't suggesting anything more than this.

And I wasn't suggesting that YOU in particular were a bully or whinging or anything else. But many pilots do, are never can see anything other than from their point of view. I don't agree with pilots flying for free or undercutting other pilots and I wouldn't do this myself. But there are reasons pilots do this and attacking them doesn't offer any solutions.

So very few pilots I come across seem to think very little what it must be like being an operator. For many pilots, all they think seem to think about is their flying, their back pocket. And while I applaud those who have made positive contributions to change, the reality is it is not going to happen over night. The reality is is that far too many people want to be pilots and many operators don't charge what they should. If they did the industry would surely be smaller and less pilots employed. What is the solution? I'm not sure. But I find many pilots reactions and their aggressive attitudes not very helpful. There are many ways to achieve change - one doesn't always have to run around with a banner and shouting slogans- and attacking other pilots!

I hope the situation at NAC is resolved amicably for both pilots and operator without having to resort calling in the media or taking court action or other such drastic measures.

Why am I wasting so much time trying to keep this thread on track????

There is no "grey scale" to this matter nor is there an "NT award".

Either the pilots concerned are paid in accordance with the Pilots (General Aviation) Award or are being paid in accordance with an Australian Worker Agreement (AWA) registered with the OEA.

It would be extremely unlikely any pilot employed by a general aviation AOC holder would qualify as an Independent Contractor and certainly not for the sole purpose of negating or avoiding Award obligations.

Woomera

Last edited by Woomera; 21st Jul 2004 at 02:56.