PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bahrain and Serco
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2004, 19:39
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couldn't really let this one slide...

Just some of the reasons Serco can't get people;
1. The pay is crap. Being USD based it is not viable for most people, compared to their home wage. Certainly not if you earn Pounds or Euro. Even the Rand looks better (watch this space) You certainly wouldn't move out here to get it, and many of those here are looking at leaving.
2. The stealth-erosion of conditions is biting. As the pay drops, these little side issues become more apparent. Things like the medical cover- sure they provide it, but every year it covers less and the 'deductable' gets bigger. The roster has been modified over the years to squeak more work days/stand-by's (48 hours continuous stand-by, mind you).
3. Outright lies are told to people to get them here, then when the manager renegs, wonders why staff resign. Complex webs of 'different contract' rules abound. Lies are told to people to keep them here a little longer.
4. It's getting busier at a phenominal rate, and the atmosphere is less than supportive. Arse-covering is an art form. The culture of fear can wear you down, over time.
5. Those who actually do the work are the most shoddily treated. I know it's a common complaint in this field- but it has to be seen to be believed here.
6. The recent slowdown in airline growth has turned around, and as the traffic picks up around the world, opportunities are arising that just weren't there 2 years ago. People are now voting with their feet. 'Managers' aren't exactly proactive here, so it takes a while before crisis management kicks in and issues are
addressed.

I'm sure I've missed things.