PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virginia Airshow (Bell 407 loop & roll thread)
Old 19th Jul 2004, 08:38
Sir Cumference

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virginia Airshow

oTd the reason that I say that Virginia is one of the finest locations for an airshow in the world is not just emotional rambling, it is a statement made and justified as follows. Durban does have some of the finest winter weather in the world. The past 18 years of the Virginia Airshow have been 'perfect days'. Most of which have been clear blue skys and temperatures of around 23C and NO wind. The pilots have an excellent line feature, being the beach, they fly at sea-level, the crowd look down sun for most of the day (after about 10:30am), the crowd are close to the runway and to the action. This is obviously not great from a safety point of view but for the guys who pay the bucks (and we are there to promote aviation) they get their money's worth.

I have been to Stellies as you call it and it is a fine venue for an airshow with the mountains in the background etc and I have been to quite a few other venues worldwide. I stick to my statement and am supported by some of the world's best airshow pilots who have been to a lot more airshows than you and I put together.

Back to the 407 issue. Sometimes you are in the right place at the right time and you are witness to an event that may not be legal correct or proper but you are glad to have been on the spot. (no accident in this case - glad!) Do you close your eyes whilst driving in Rome if you see anything illegal? Methinks you will spend most of the day with your eyes firmly shut!

I would not fly the 407 after the incident as I believe that despite there not being any visible damage now (there might be?), my feeling is that someone else, later, might pay the price for this airshow stint!

Apparently there is a reply from Bell saying that the helicopter in question is "un-airworthy" in their opinion. The owner's must be livid! Who is responsible? As I have said before a lot of fingers are being pointed at the pilot, but his display was sanctioned and planned and approved by his emplyers and airshow officials.

Does anyone have any further input with regard to tiny52's post that the pilot did his conversion the day before? We all assume that he had LOTS of experience in the 407 to perform such a display!