PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Building (Australia)
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2004, 07:39
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
71n,

I also don't fancy a career in airlines. It seems to me that the industry is a compromise between fun flying, and earning money. The more fun a job is, the less it pays.

The trick has to be to find a balance where you are earning enough to live on without too much financial stress, but still enjoying your flying as much as possible. (I'm sure I'd enjoy flying airliners, but not as much as flying GA aircraft - the smaller the better, as far as I'm concerned.) I imagine myself instructing for a while until I really can't afford to do it any more, then moving on to turbo-props or business jets which generally pay a salary that you can live on, but not get rich on.

I get the feeling you and I are in a minority. But from the few bits I've seen on these forums, I get the impression that being a little older when applying to turbo-prop operators might be a help - they tend to assume that the average 25-or-under applicant is just looking to build time for airlines, whereas the average 40-or-over applicatant is too old for airlines so may stick around for a while. Don't know if anyone else has a view on that? Problem is because there are so few of us there isn't much information out there.

Have to admit I've never heard of RFDS - probably because I've only really looked into the UK industry in any detail - so my post proably doesn't help much except to let you know you're not the only one. As for me, I'm going to go and do some research on RFDS when I get a chance - just for general interest, if nothing else!

Good luck!

FFF
---------------