PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Pilots to have stun Guns !!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2001, 23:07
Covenant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tripower

You're wrong. I have thought this through very carefully. It is you who have failed to think it through. You think that possession of a firearm will make you invincible. You think that the only training you need to use a weapon against someone is purely mechanical. I'm not saying that guns are complicated pieces of equipment, I'm saying that I don't trust you, or anyone else who hasn't had years of experience, to use the gun properly and effectively in a situation where my life depends on it.

To use an analogy, the equivalent is to suppose that simply understanding how to use the flight controls means that you will know exactly what to do and when to do it when something unexpected happens to your aircraft. No. You learn that by long hours of training and experience, so that when you lose an engine during take-off roll, or experience a strong sidewind gust on short finals, you immediately take the right action; you've done it so many times (even of only on the simulator) that it is second nature. In a similar way, close-quarter combat with firearms is not something that anyone has a natural ability for; it requires long continuous and ongoing training.

Besides all that, you also fail to grasp the practicalities of your scenario. No authority will countenance the existence of a loaded (round in chamber), unsafe weapon just hanging around in the cockpit. Not the law-enforcement and certainly not the FAA. So, if you do happen to get your wish, you will probably have some kind of handgun, with a full magazine, safely locked in a cupboard with the chamber empty and the safety catch on. There is absolutely no guarantee whatosever that you will have either the time or the presence of mind to make that weapon useful before Mr Terrorist gets to you and gets possession of it.

It seems completely ludicrous to me that we should be spending so much resources on making sure that absolutely nothing of any shape or form whatsoever that even slightly resembles a weapon - even dinner knives - gets on an aeroplane, and then go and plant a handgun with ammunition right there on the plane where everyone knows it's going to be! It's so stupid it makes my head spin.

[ 16 October 2001: Message edited by: Covenant ]