PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Pilots to have stun Guns !!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2001, 22:07
Tripower455

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Just entertain the possibility for a moment that you are wrong, and at the critical moment, you hesitate. You have just multiplied the danger to your passengers and God knows how many people on the ground a hundred times. You had better be damn sure of yourself if you're going to take that kind of risk.
You have OBVIOUSLY NOT thought this completely through!

I will put this in VERY SIMPLE TERMS.........

If the terrorist gets into the cockpit (however remote the chance, with all of the enhanced security ! ), the ONLY reasonable chance that I have of preventing him from taking command of the aircraft is with a repeating firearm. Dumping the cabin, dangerous aerobatics etc. are much less effective (even if you had time to pull the pax O2 breakers, don the masks, dump the cabin and wait for it to decomress!). Many more people will be injured when I try to "G" the terr. off his feet! How many people actually WEAR their seatbelts in the aircraft?

Once the terrorist has the airplane, the passengers (and God who knows how many office workers) are now 1000% more risk than if Mr. Terrorist is lying on the galley floor.

The argument that we aren't "special forces" is even MORE ridiculous........A firearm is a SIMPLE TOOL! Much simpler than almost any system that we deal with on the airplane, and a lot simpler to use EFFECTIVELY in the cockpit than the crash axe or stun gun! The tactics required to use one safely in this instance are not very complicated. There is a VERY small area that Mr. Terrorist must pass through in order to take MY airplane from me. With the PROPER weapon, it is really not that big a deal to hit a man sized target from 5 feet away. There is a company that makes laser sights that fit into the recoil spring guides of semi auto pistols. It is simply a matter of pulling the gun from it's holster, hitting the switch (which is part of the takedown lever, on the Glocks), placing the red dot on Mr. Terrorist's chest, and pulling the trigger. This process will require about HALF the training needed to deal with a V-1 cut. If you are worried about the weapon being taken away, there are devices that make it impossible for anyone but the wearer of a special ring to fire the weapon.