PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Pilots to have stun Guns !!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2001, 22:08
Dagger Dirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steep Approach and bral
To answer your query:

quote below is from: http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimat...1&t=015742&p=4

Managing Editor ASW asked Airbus two weeks ago and was told he'd not be given an answer. The exact same question was copied from the Pprune Tech Forum and asked on Bluecoat. It then went strangely quiet there also. The answer (by judicious inference) is that they would be a very bad idea.

ask Airbus about stun guns and TASERS and their potential impact ON their FBW aircraft.
I've asked (but not yet gotten an answer from) an electrical engineer who first raised with me the question of the dubious practise (for weight-saving) of using the fuselage as an earth return medium in airliner electrics. In my view it's likely a given that the low-amp high-voltage TASER stun gun would be quite disruptive to sensitive electronics if they were to come in contact with the fuselage skin or any other (which means all) bonded component. Given that 100% bonding is always required in airframe metallic structures, it's hard to predict any definite effect on a particular system - but I would guess that a post-TASER FBW Airbus would be a markedly different proposition to a pre-TASERed one - and the variations wouldn't be along the lines that any of the Airbus systems designers had in mind. Prof Elaine Scarry (of TWA800 theories) could have a field day postulating with the EMI, HIRF and EMP of that proposition.
The first thing that comes to my mind is that you would trip flight-control computers and fry CPU's. LED's (light emitting diodes), LCD's (Liquid Crystal Displays) would be lost permanently so that the actual status of systems would be indeterminate. Pilot's VDU's would probably be lost and basically the "glass" of a glass cockpit would become a dark and empty vessel. Solenoids and relays, being not as sensitive to voltage, would likely continue to do their duty. So you might well end up with a perfectly running vehicle, status unknown due to screen and indicator outages - but with no flight control anyway. That's just my best guess and you'd certainly need that opinion verified by someone who knew what they were talking about.