PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nice Chair Sir
Thread: Nice Chair Sir
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2004, 02:46
allan907
Nixor ut Ledo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Althenick .... and others

I do not dispute the fact that MOD (and Command and Group (do you still have those any more?)) contain more than their fair share of idiots. However, one of my thrusts, was the fact that you immediately assumed they are blunties. You forget that most staff officers are drawn from other branches. And perhaps that's where the rub is. A GD officer, or similar, wants to play with Aunty Betty's shiny kit. Staff work, secondary duties etc etc are just a pain in the arse that interferes with the 'real' job of having a good time at the taxpayer's expense. Then, whoops, because he's a 'good mate' and gets the right ticks in the box, suddenly finds him/herself promoted and in the staff officer zone. The various staff courses come hard and they eventually find themselves flying a desk with neither the ability or the enthusiasm to do the job.

Compound that with the system which works on the pollies telling us what to do with how much, put a layer of Treasury and other civil servants in between and you have the classic recipe for screwing things up.

However, when doing your staff job, why should you not be entitled to have the right kit for the job in the same way as a better AAM will achieve a better kill rate, a better boot will keep foot rot at bay, a better bergen will prevent lower back injury, a better racking system will help stores location etc etc etc.

Yes, it is a damned shame that some kit is not up to the job and mates have to buy their own but don't necessarily blame it on the blunties. Have a go at any prat deserving of it but don't simply lump all the blame on one section of the population. In other spheres that can be classed as racist!!!!!

As an ex civil servant Althenick I am sure that you have come across the expression "People in glass houses should not stow thrones". ABIW - careful - you might find yourself in a staff job one day (providing the RAF lasts that long!)

Exits stage right bloody smartish and awaits incoming ====>>>>>>>>