PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristol to New York?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2004, 20:12
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snigs

Your 'link road' (the B 3130) is going to be closed for about five days commencing 23 August - I hope suitable arrangements will be made for the pub's punters.

Being a user you obviously know that this attractive little meander through a pretty village could not be upgraded to a full A road to A road link. The proposal is for a road to run from the Long Ashton ByPass to the bottom of Barrow Hill on the A 38 - precise route still to be determined.

The proposal actually gained the approval of the majority of villagers because it would also serve as a Barrow Gurney bypass and restore the village to its previous tranquility - apart from the pubbers of course.

This link road would help those coming from the M 5 via the Portway a bit (would save the grind past BCFC and around the Parson Street Railway Station one way system) but whether it would make that much difference I'm not sure.

I see that CWL will have a rail link at the nearby Rhoose Station from next year. The Vale of Glamorgan line is being re-opened with a grant of £17 million from the Welsh Assembly. I guess other regional airports will be looking to see if, and by how much, it increases pax numbers and leads to new routes.

The best BRS could probably do would be to utilise Parson Street as a rail link and use frequent buses for the ten minute or so journey along the A 38 to the airport. It would need money though to upgrade and adapt the station. Unfortunately we don't have an Assembly with money to spend on such things this side of the Severn.