PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heart Murmurs
Thread: Heart Murmurs
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2004, 05:40
Bendo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bicuspid valve

G'day Lads,

I was diagnosed with a murmur as a kid and it was properly investigated when I was 17 - it scratched me from RAAF pilot selection.

However, it hasn't precluded me from working as a commercial pilot for the last 10 years. I am now 30 and I run half-marathons and play rugby, chase the wife around etc etc etc.

My murmur is caused by having a bicuspid (two-leaf) aortic valve instead of a three-leaf valve like 97% of the population.

When having a regular check-up last Dec the cardiologist found that my aorta was dilating, stretching out to a diameter of 54mm. The normal dia. is 25-30mm.

I was booked in for corrective surgery; I flew until the day before the Operation and my medical certificate will be re-issued 10 weeks post-operatively with no restrictions.

The surgeons removed the dodgy aorta and installed a nice little white dacron hose in its place; I might need a valve replacement in 15-20 years, I might not.

IN SUMMARY,

It might seem bad but it ain't; if investigations show something that needs to be monitored, make sure you keep it monitored regardless of the cost.

If I hadn't had this checked I could have ruptured at any time and had a short, agonising death... which would NOT have been good in an aeroplane.

Stay well.