PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do we avoid fatalities?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2004, 07:37
TonyR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FD

Thanks for bringing the subject of Human Factors into this discussion.

I am just completing a PhD in Human Factors in Aviation and have spent the last 2 years reading up on hundreds of accidents and ground incidents, there were only 2 that I can think of that were (possibly) not caused by human error, both were bird strikes.

Midair accidents are very rare in the UK, I can remember a midair between a Military jet and a 150 a few years ago. the speed factor was so great that most gizmos would have been of little use.

Most other mid air accidents throughout the world happen well outside busy airspace and many have been under some form of radar service, most also happen in good weather.

Pilots crash aircraft, they don't crash themselves, engineers sometimes get things wrong which can lead to an accident, but it is the drivers who are at the top of the list.

2 crew are 4-5 times less likely to have an accident so fly with an other pilot when possible.

I usually do my fun flying in Donegal, N W Ireland. It is a sort of mini Scotland very beautyful and not very busy.

Since the start of the year there have been 22 people killed on the roads in Donegal, this week another 3 teenagers were killed.

Flying is still very safe and only pilots (and engineers) can keep it that way. Better ATC & LARS will not stop anyone from loosing it in IMC or doing something silly.

Stay safe

Tony