PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tutor Grounding
Thread: Tutor Grounding
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2004, 18:27
Skylark4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come now Beagle. The Tutor is a good aircraft as was the Bulldog in its time but its time is past. I have asked you before,"Why don't you have a Bulldog in your own flying club/school?" And the answer:- "It's too expensive." It's too expensive for the RAF, too.
Who is the idiot who chose the Grob 115 E over all the other contenders? Collectively, the RAF in the form of various involved pilots and the staff at Cranwell. If it's really that bad, then it's a self inflicted injury.
Who put the problematic propellor on the aircraft? See answer above. When originally presented, I understand it had a two blade prop, presumably the same as is used on the 'D' model which doesn't have a problem as far as I know. Cranwell wanted the three blade prop reputedly so that they could slow down faster and make the first turn off the runway. Thats what I heard. You prove me wrong.
Because of the three blade prop, studes are taught to move the prop to 'coarse' during PFLs, presumably to give a more realistic sink rate. I think three have been seriously damaged on landing so far after the stude moved the mixture lever instead. Self inflicted injury.
If you had the chance, you would operate Tutors instead of those antedeluvian PA 28s you have.
Are you prepared to defend your corner if and when that consortium you are involved with supplies and operates the replacement for that wonderful, incomparable, better than anything before or since, Vickers VC 10 Tanker.

Mike W