PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Square Circuit
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2004, 21:00
Cambridge Aero Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jumbo,

Problem at Cambridge is two fold:

Firstly, as you are aware most of the fixed wing pilots have no idea where the helicopter circuits are, but be assured that I am trying to improve the situation!

Secondly, ATC will often respond to a request for a low level circuit from a fixed wing pilot undergoing training with a blanket 'approved' reply. They will usually then call the helicopter and advise them that there may be conflicting traffic at their circuit height... Good in theory but as you know a 'little' controlling from ATC is often worse than none at all thus leading to confusion. With credit to them however, they always try to accommodate all requests from all types, and with an ever increasing level of helicopter traffic at Cambridge doing circuits this situation is becoming more frequent.

In the mean time I suggest we try to improve communication between the two 'camps' and possibly liaise a little more with the ATC authority at Cambridge. I will raise the subject at the next Heads of Dept meeting.

It's probably worth mentioning that low level circuits are an often examined part of the PPL syllabus during skills tests so w have to make sure students can do it properly, including maintaining situational awareness, however, it often takes them a number of attempts before they feel confident doing it.

I will brief my instructors accordingly and please do the same in the whirly club!

Best wishes,

Aero Club.