PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid air over Hertfordshire
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2004, 20:56
Buster the Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr

valenii, who is going to pay for this protection? Nothing in life is free, well apart from obtaining an ATC servive in the FIR?

If you want radar coverage someone will have to provide it for you, so are you and all other private flyers prepared to pay for such a service?

Probably no? Anyway, there are not enough validated radar ATCO's available in the UK to provide airport radar, let alone LARS and if you expect the MOD/Smiler Blair/You & I as tax payers to foot the bill, think again.

10/20 years ago life was different. Sadly today, airports and ATC units are there to maximise profits for airport operators and until such time TCAS is mandatory for ALL flyers, Mark 1 eyeball is all that can be relied upon.

I was totally gutted when I was told about this today, but would ATC actually see a microlight on their radar? Depending upon the range from the head and the radar frequency, possibly? Would one or both flights be in R/T communication with the same ATSU outside CAS? Would that controller have offered a LARS service due to his/hers workload?

Sadly, who knows. I offer my deepest thoughts for those that have perished as I know a few barmy micro pilots. For them this a cheap way to enjoy flying for fun.....just as it should be, fun!