PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attention all BA wannabes!
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2004, 11:14
Human Factor
Couldonlyaffordafiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I understand it, European law means that a retirement age as such would be abolished - you can keep going so long as you pass the medical. However due to licencing requirements in France and Italy, 60 would become the maximum for pilots. Everyone in BA at the moment (except for some of the ex Dan Dare guys) must go at 55. Even after the legal retirement age changes, there should be nothing (in theory) stopping anyone from going as originally planned, although some will undoubtedly stay on. I would be surprised if commands go back five years, probably more like three. I'm considered quite young for my seniority (or senior for my age) and I will be looking at 18+ years (from joining) to a short haul command at LHR if this is the case with longhaul probably after 23 years. I haven't decided when I want to retire yet so I could be a long haul captain for well over ten years, which could cause a big delay for anyone junior to me. As you say, this is similar to ten or so years ago.