PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian ATC controllers world's worst?
Old 1st Jul 2004, 08:53
Balding Eagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I agree that Oz ATC is not the worst in the world, I do believe they can be better. Can I give a couple of examples.

Using R25 for departures at SYD because big CB just passed through and crosswind with wet runway ruled out 16. However, after the CB had passed and the wind had abated, I was about number six in the list for departure. I asked if 16 was available for departure. Answer "Yes but you won't get airborne any quicker." This might be becuase of Union rules or whatever but it gives absolutely no consideration for the efficient movement of aircraft.

Number 2. Coming from NZ we are always given the eastern complex for arrivals (unless operationally required otherwise). Not too much of a problem but most airports would put you closest to your gate to minimise ground traffic. When I asked for the eastern complex for departure, was advised that I couldn't have it unless operationally required. I asked for the reason and was told that crossing to the far side held up traffic on the ground too much. "So" I asked "why don't we get the western complex for arrivals." Ground controller said that as far as they were concerned, that was the ideal situation but they couldn't convince the approach controllers to see it that way.

There has been an improvement since the olympics but things could still improve. I do appreciate that they have to operate within the current regulations but I can't understand why we get holding patterns instead of radar vectors. Track shortening under radar is often turned down in the high altitude transit phase. I would like to hear why this is so.