PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - finningley ATC
Thread: finningley ATC
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2004, 23:17
niknak
niknak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mole on the inside tells me that the first commercial flight is due to depart "Robin Hood" "finningly" or whatever you want to call it, in mid March 2005.

With regard to TT's comments regarding the mineworkings, you may not know that the runway was strengthened a year or so prior to the Government telling the MOD that the base would close, and also that there are extensive ongoing works to ensure that there will not be any problems in the future.
If there were any problems, companies such as Thompson or ANA Air Cargo would not have committed themselves to the place.

I don't know what the salary scale will be, but the requirement is for tower and APC rated atco's, and the salary for experienced candidates needed for the start up will be above the market rate.

Radar (Approach control) will be done from EGGP, and the procedures for that to be implemented are already well underway, (along with plans to expand the ATC team at GP to accomodate it).

Once they are up and running, I understand that they will operate a training scheme for local people to join as ATCAs, with a view to ATCO training, do the ADC and APC courses, then in due course, do the APR course and move to either Teesside or Liverpool.
Whether or not these candidates are chopped NATS cadets or locals, it doesn't matter, cos there will always be a guaranteed supply of highly intelligent candidates who are more than capable of doing the job.

I can't understand why so many people want to knock what is bound to be a highly successful operation and a marvellous opportunity for everyone seeking a first or new career in aviation.

A typical British trait I suppose.