PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When do you learn what, on the way to the flight deck?
Old 28th Jun 2004, 12:02
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll add my bit, although since I haven't done a type rating and I don't work for an airline (and in fact I haven't even done an integrated course), a lot of this is what I think probably happens.

Basically, you will do the following:

1) PPL - or an integrated equivalent - on a single-engined aircraft.

2) CPL/IR, including, at some point, a multi-engine rating on a light twin-engined aircraft.

3) Type rating - which may or may not be tailored to an airline's requirements

4) Line training with an airline

You will learn what is relevant at each stage. So, to go through your list one by one:

a) Walkaround - you will learn to do a walkaround on a single-engined aircraft from one of your very first lessons. Each time you move to a new aircraft, you will learn the walkaround for that aircraft - so at the very least you will learn the walkaround for the basic aircraft you use for your initial training, possibly for a more complex single-engined aircraft, then for the twin-engined aircraft, and then for whichever aircraft you get a type-rating for.

b) Evacuation - exactly the same as the walkaround, except that evacuation from most light aicraft is exactly the same, so you will probably cover this in your very first lesson, and won't need to learn a new procedure until you do a type-rating.

c) Rostering/scheduling sounds like the kind of thing you will learn about on the line.

d) PA and seatbelt signs are all airline-specific. This, I would think, will be covered to some extent during the type rating, but unless the type rating is tailored to the specific airline it may have to be re-learnt during line training.

e) Flight planning varies depending on the type of flight. You will learn to plan a visual flight for your PPL (or integrated equivalent), and will refine the methods used for the CPL. Planning an instrument flight is different, and will be covered on your instrument rating. And once you move to jets, the differences in altitude and speed would, I would imagine, introduce some new planning issues which would be covered on your first type rating.

Any corrections from those who have been there, done that are, of course, welcome!

FFF
-------------