PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When do you learn what, on the way to the flight deck?
Old 27th Jun 2004, 22:12
NW3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When do you learn what, on the way to the flight deck?

Hi All.

I'm about to start down in Jerez, having been lucky enough to be selected to join the Britannia scheme - I was just trying to work out roughly what's going to happen to me over the next 2 years or so, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas:

The Jerez course spits you out the end with (I guess) a CPL, which will have taught you to fly twin engines (possibly a teeny bit of jets), and therefore know the basics of general flight (how to turn, take off, land, not stall etc.)

Where I get a bit confused is where you learn things like (in no particular order:

- how to do a walkround (?type rating)
- how to evacuate an a/c (?type rating)
- how rostering and scheduling works (?after type rating but before line training)
- what kind of thing to say on the PA (?line training)
- how to plan a flight (basics in CPL, but company specific stuff during line training)
- when you turn the seatbelt signs off (?line training)
- etc...

I.e. what would be the general content of each of flight training school, type rating, line training with the airline, then being let loose on the a/c (I guess you have to have had all the training you need before you're 'freed' from the training captain).

One last point - will an airline typically give you loads of its own groundschool between type rating and line training?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Cheers

NW3