PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to Mull
Thread: Flying to Mull
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2004, 14:05
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
[EGCF] It's not personal, I assure you. I know Warriors fairly well, and have flown into Mull a few times (in fact may do so on my own holidays this summer).

A lovely spot with wind that convinently is channelled right down the runway, but nonetheless Glenforsa is not a particularly easy approach and runway, and I know to my personal cost that Warriors are not good short field machines. At a time when I had rather less experience than I do now (but still probably four times what you have at present) I bent a PA28-161, overrunning a runway, in conditions where I was on-paper well inside the safety margins, but experience hadn't yet taught either me to be far more cautious, or the finer points of PA28 short field technique. I'd just hate to see somebody else do something similar.

Incidentally, if you are looking to combine climbing and flying, you'd be far better off aiming for Broadford on the Isle of Skye, which is admittedly unserviced most of the time, but is in-sight of the Cullin Ridge, as well as having a longer, easier, and tarmac runway. (Last I was there, I also got to watch two whales playing in Broadford bay on my way out). Nice SYHA hostel in Broadford village, about an hours walk from the airfield.

G