PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas London base
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2004, 13:23
Floaty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

...Base employment was classified as a 'skills shortage' for visa purposes, which is why the carrot can be dangled for suckers who are prepared to transfer up there when the base is new...
Yellow rocket... you would be amazed how many people in the U.K. have the "skills" for the job... and we don't need your carrot!

...Nowadays, go to LHR, you STAY at LHR, which is another reason why the base is attracting some really poor local candidates...
You don't seem to have much respect for us, "poor local candidates"... tsk tsk tsk...

...Those who have blue eyes, or are "supportive of the company", or sleep with cabin crew management, or go to their homes for a rack of lamb, do quite well and often find their fixed term renewed. To be fair, some really good people slip through the net too...
You even have a pretty bad opinion of your own people! What's wrong with you? Were you not very popular at school or what??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, I think QANTAS is simply following what other airlines have been doing in order to save their @rse in this industry. It's not meant against Australians, against short-listers or anything like that. It's the way things evolve. Cutting costs on allowances is nothing new to most airlines. Has anyone noticed that things are changing??????? Not that I like it but we gotta realize that the aviation old days are gone: low-cost have kicked in, competition is open to anyone, the old 5 star service is a thing of the past... (expect for those lucky popstars sitting at the front)... Nowaday going by bus or by plane makes very little difference... aviation has expanded enormously and tickets have become less expensive... everyone is travelling and flying is no luxury anymore! Changes require people to ADAPT. You're in or you're out. It's nothing personal... and it'not about "sleeping with cabin crew management, or go to their homes for a rack of lamb"...

We (U.K. very skilled but poor local candidates) know this type of situation too well. Come over here and see how things work!
Every airline I can think of has been cutting costs in the last few years, especially after 911.
Since the beginning of the EU, loads of foreign people have relocated here to work as cabin crew. They can't find work in their own country so they come to the U.K. where the airline industry is huge. I can't think of any U.K. cabin crew who joined Iberia, KLM or Alitalia, that I know... Do you think U.K. crew went on strike because of that? Nah! It's the way things are!
We all know it is very difficult to work for a good airline and get a decent salary. We all know that the old BA contracts are long gone and I'm sure BA waiting lists for transfers are even longer than the QANTAS ones!

There are 12 million people living in London (greater LDN) alone... and only 18 million people in the whole Australian continent... Now guess who's more likely to adapt?!?

Sorry guys! Reality check!

FJ