PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas London base
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2004, 11:42
yellow rocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post The Lesley Model

QANTASTIC

I'm not 'in the know' at Qantas but I can outline to you what goes on at Air NZ post Lesley G. Rant, from which I can see the same pattern emerging at QF re F/A recruitment.

What I have to describe is complex (sorry!) but it should go a long way to answering your question as to why HR only offered fixed term to a handful of externals, with the rest axed from the shortlist.

Assumption - Dicko wants to have 25% casualisation out on line. That's been publicly stated.

MAM expands as does AKL (already happening with shortlisters told they can't go to overseas bases and AKL recruiting every few months), get ready for LAX, LHR or wherever.

This means all new hire will be on fixed term as happens at NZ with all not employed by QF at all. Great cost saving for the airline. Lesley can coo in Dickos ear and say Customer Services (CC) has achieved its casualisation and cost targets over the period in question.

NZ has rarely given external to permanent in the last 5 years. The airline calls new hires 'temps'. Typically a temp is hired for 6 - 9 months during seasonal cycles.

The only base offering permanent often lately is LHR - because the turnover is so high they have to. The base pay before tax of around 25% is £1600 per month. Add to that a US$285 per trip allowance. There are about 4 or 5 trips per roster, with barely more than 2 days off between each. Rent in London's outskirts is about £450 per month for a room or if you want your own place expect about £6-700.

If you immigrate to the UK to join LHR, do not expect any kind of transfer to a NZ base. Doesn't happen anymore except to those coming off the last of the New Zealand based transfers who were on 3 year contracts ex New Zealand and already permanent at home.

Do you need a UK/EU passport? Yes, but not initially. Base employment was classified as a 'skills shortage' for visa purposes, which is why the carrot can be dangled for suckers who are prepared to transfer up there when the base is new.

Nowadays, go to LHR, you STAY at LHR, which is another reason why the base is attracting some really poor local candidates who expedite ahead of New Zealanders for OBM positions - the ISDs and ISCs (CSMs and CSSs) don't even want to stay.

Meanwhile, back in New Zealand, under NZ law, the term for a New Zealand based fixed term contract cannot be rolled continuously so eventually the temp is either made permanent or sent a letter wishing them well with their new career choice...yes, the actual words in the letter.

There is no documented process for selecting who gets permanent and who doesn't. That is exactly what has caught my attention when looking at what's going on at QF - its the same model being established. Lots of assumptions made by people that their fixed term will be a de facto probation for permanent. Under the Lesley method, it ain't happening.

Those who have blue eyes, or are "supportive of the company", or sleep with cabin crew management, or go to their homes for a rack of lamb, do quite well and often find their fixed term renewed. To be fair, some really good people slip through the net too.

No, I'm not being cynical, that is exactly whats going on.

Which is why I've been watching the devolution of management quality at QF cabin crew with some interest.

Seen it all before.

Its coming your way.

Guys, you make Qantas the icon its been. You deserve so much better.