PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to Mull
Thread: Flying to Mull
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2004, 11:19
EGCJFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear all, thanks for all your comments so far. However, I feel, particularly Genghis's comments are unfair and based on assumptions. So let me give you details of weight, planning,etc and please now let me know whether in your judgement I should continue or adjust my flight plans......

1st assumption - must be good VFR conditions otherwise I am not going ahead. Whilst I would fly normally in marginal VFR conditions, I wouldn't do this for a weekend trip, particularly flying so far from base.

Weight:
MTOW: 2440lbs (1109kgs)
Aircraft basic empty weight: 1557lbs (708kgs)
Usable load: 883lbs (401kgs)

Pilot + passenger 352lbs (160kgs)
2 rear passengers 308lbs (140kgs)

(slightly skinnier than your assumptions Genghis and fully clothed - already weighed)

Baggage 40lbs (18kgs)

(already listed, weighed and includes flying gear) (we don't need many clothes, we are not out to pull the local talent on Mull!!!)

So that leaves me with 182lbs (83kgs) for fuel which in my calculations is 115 litres (25 imp. gallons) - 8 gallons / hour burn give me an endurance of c. 3 hours. Awaiting more details of winds on the day, assume a flight time to Prestwick (for fuel) from LBA at 100knts/hour 1hr 25 mins mins point to point + 20 mins on ground at LBA + 25 mins approach at Prestwick gives a total of 2hrs 10 mins with 50 mins reserve. Options for diversion are Carlisle en-route and Glasgow. If on the day winds suggest that this becomes extremely marginal (i.e. head wind) then Carlisle becomes my first fuel en-route stop.

As for arriving at Mull, if wind conditions are not favourable, then Oban is the obvious choice of destination. I have no problems with that. However good the conditions are on the return, I will be ferrying passengers in two trips to Oban before initiating my return to LBA.

I know I am relatively inexperienced compared to a BA pilot but I have the confidence in my planning and flying to do this in GOOD conditions (remember, any worse than good VFR then I'm not going ahead). Please don't mistake inexperience for being foolhardy. I am able to recognse when something is too much for me and cancel where appropriate.

Would really appreciate your feedback.