PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to Mull
Thread: Flying to Mull
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2004, 23:03
Skinny Runt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

We actually weighed 160 lbs each, (not too skinny ) and took off from Glasgow with 35 galls. (Gallus Glasgow Galls you understand ). We had just about tabs(about 30 galls) when we landed. So I estimate our Landing/take-off weight at Mull was .......... about 2350 lbs. Wind was about 4-5kts straight across from the north. This is in a lovely wee 160Hp Warrior 2 (2440 MTOW). Over the fence at 70-65kts, touchdown about 100yds in and we were stopped with about 300yds to spare. On the a way out we took about 400m of ground roll, rotating about 55kts with 2 stages of flap. Don't climb out of ground effect too early. Keep the stick back after landing and on taxy to keep the weight off the nosewheel.

Now. If you are not too sure about grass strips, get an instructor checkout first, but it is well worth the effort.

Some advice in particular about Mull. The nicest grass strip I've ever had the privilege of being on. (that includes Compton Abbas, Old Sarum, Whiterashes, Feshiebridge, Dornoch is a close second .... and Gigha (beware the soft patch and ruts in the middle))

Land on the south (uphill) half of the runway. It can be a wee bit soft on the seaward side.

If the wind is 10kts or more from the south .. forget it. It gets a lot of downdraughts and turbulence from Ben More, and they are amplified by the trees south of 25 threshold.

I'd be careful with 4 up, but if you are pretty light with fuel and you know your aeroplane performance, why not? Do you count the runway lights on takeoff to see if the weight you've got matches the performance in the book ? I do and am pretty confident of my Warriors abilities but that is after a few years of experience. Alternatively do a couple of shuttle flights from Oban - it's only 10 minutes each way.

Gigha is possible in a Warrior, but I wouldn't take more than 2 people, and there is a slope at the 26 overrun end .... you don't want to overrun ..... it's a 40 foot cliff !!

If it has rained at all in the previous 3 days Gigha will be soft, and they don't cut the grass as often as they should. Phone the hotel for advice but remember they don't fly. If you want to PM me I could answer any more specific questions.

Although Glenforsa doesn't have fuel, it has better facilities than many many places. Try

www.glenforsa.com

for starters .... and the main courses and pudding are even better

Hotel is now run by an aviator - who pulls good beer, and has a Piper Cub based there.

My advice -- GO FOR IT !!

ISLAY ISLAY ISLAY - ISLE OF MY HEART - MY OWN ONE ... cue for a song .....

And of course, you can visit a couple of distilleries while you are there, or camp on a couple of beaches - Kilnaughton by Port Ellen, or Kintra campsite at the end of the runway. Scrounge a cuppa in the tower (very friendly folks)... and say \'hello\' from Glasgow

Definitely recommend the Ardbeg Distillery - good tours, ask for Jackie and Emma - superb restaurant (about £20 return taxi from the airport). 1.2 hr on a bike (hire it from Morags teabar at the terminal). Or wait for a bus. Tower has the times.

Or head the other way (NW) to Bowmore (20 min cycle) and visit their distillery. Good food and coffee in the Harbour Inn... at least it used to be ... think the previous owner (who had Islay\'s only based aircraft - PA28) just sold up.

Or hire a car and take it easy on your legs.

What the craic on Islay ?
http://www.ileach.co.uk/

Enjoy

Last edited by Skinny Runt; 25th Jun 2004 at 23:18.